Tuesday, September 8

Buenos Aires, Mi Amor

I think I’m going to have to suck it up and buy a camera even though they’re so expensive here because Sarah is going to start charging me royalties!

Check out my new gym: http://www.keltia.com.ar/

The first week, I tried to join a gym but they wouldn’t let me because you need A) to be examined by one of their doctors or B) a medical certificate. I’m glad I didn’t join then, because I just got a copy from IES and haven’t had time to actually go until recently. I’ve been going when I don’t have frisbee practice, and the cool thing is that you don’t have a card to enter- they take your fingerprint and you scan your finger to get in!

San Isidro

IES took us to San Isidro, which is a barrio outside of the city. I found a ginormous pinecone. We went to a few museums and a small feria, but the best part was having tea and pastries over the water. There was a great view of the city skyline, and the sun setting over the water was so beautiful. The day was kind of boring (I prefer to explore rather to listen), but the end made it all worth it.


Food fight!!!

This happened a while ago, but I forgot to write about it. Sarah and I went to the Facultad de Medicina after I went with Matt, because the plaza is a great place to study. While we were reading, we noticed there were small groups of families and students in the middle of the plaza. All of a sudden, people started clapping and hugging. I thought it was an engagement, but then they started throwing eggs at each other! They also had bags of flour and dumped it on each other’s heads- some students chased each other around with food and wrestled on the ground! We found out later that this is the custom when students graduate from med school- apparently their reward for passing their exams was a giant food fight!

IUNA Class- La Historia Socio-cultural del Arte

I realize that I haven’t written much about my classes- yes, I’m actually studying here! I’m taking a class that’s kind of like the philosophy of art, or the history of the concept of art. It’s very interesting, and it’s held at IUNA Movimiento, which is the school of dance, so the other students are training to be professional dancers. Some things about this class:

  • I understand the professor and the readings pretty well, but the students are more difficult to understand because they talk so fast! We have a group project coming up, but of course Sarah and I were the kids picked last for gym class and don’t really have a group yet.
  • The class is 4 hours on Fridays, which I actually don’t mind. Perks: during the break, there’s an amazing empanada place next door where the empanadas are less than a dollar. Also, after class it’s fun to walk around the school and look in on students learning modern, tap, tango, ballet, etc.
  • It’s close to my apartment! I can walk there in 20 minutes. It’s also close to Abasto, the mall. After class on Friday, I went with Sarah and David (a student we met in class from Ecuador) to the mall. David and I watched an Argentine film called “El secreto de sus ojos” which was really good. He was helpful whenever I needed a translation because he speaks English.

UMSA Class- La historia del arte argentina del siglo XIX

I also had my first “parcialito” which is like a unit test! I was so nervous because it was for the 19th century argentine art history class and Brittney and I are the only non-native speakers in the class. But we studied together, and I wrote about 2 pages worth of everything I knew about new artistic techniques that emerged from European artists in Buenos Aires before Argentina officially became a nation. Wish me luck!

…ETC

Other things I did this week…I’ll expand on them if you skype me- how’s that for an incentive ;)

Some students in my program met at a local bar to watch the soccer game against Brazil. They won, but I got to eat nachos for the first time in a long time! (Can you tell how passionate I am about soccer??) Me and Matt at the bar:


I went to Hallie and Sarah’s neighbor’s apartment to hang out after the game. Two of the crazy Argentine boys went to the balcony, spread their arms, held each other, and sang “My heart will go on” from the Titanic. And since they’re on the top floor, they pretty much serenaded the entire neighborhood at 3 am. No they were not drunk- I think people here just have less verguenza (less shy) than we stuffy Americans do!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh finally an update!! Not all us Americans are stuffy- I would serenade with you anytime and you know that ;) miss you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you mean to say that they lost, but you got nachos :)

    ReplyDelete