Tuesday, September 1

It's Officially Been a Month!

Ahh sorry I haven’t updated in a while! Here’s a recap of the past week (and a half…). I think 90% of these photos are not mine so thanks to everyone whose photos I borrowed! :)

  • I went to an Argentine birthday party and a grad party the past two weekends with friends from the city and friends from my program.

    Observations:
    Portenos know how to dance! The boys know how to twirl you around the floor, and everything is just so much more fun! It was perfectly acceptable that we didn’t know who the party host was, as long as we went with someone who had a friend who knew the party host! The parties were held at boliches (clubs) or bars that they rented just for the occasion. The time schedule is also different. We left at 2am for the party and got home at 6am after dancing all night.



  • Every Sunday in San Telmo, there’s an antique fair with live music, tango dancers, drum circles, etc. I went both weekends because the atmosphere is just so cool. San Telmo has a lot of design shops. I bought two dresses for about $25 USD at one really cool artsy clothing store. The second time we went, there were Brazilian drummers and dancers dancing something I’ve never seen before- it was almost tribal. I love the feria, because there’s always something new (haha get it? It’s an antique fair!)

  • Last week was Buenos Aires Fashion week (BAF) so I went with some friends to a fashion show. I can hardly begin to describe the episode that ensued, but basically we waited four hours in line and lied our way inside. I lied to an event organizer that my friend lost her VIP ticket, so he gave us two more. Then I had my friend lie that someone stole her ticket, etc. We ended up getting into the last show after waiting all day and paying only $5 USD. I don't feel bad because that's the only way we could have seen it. There were hundreds of people in line who paid the entrance fee, waited hours in line like we did, and then had to turn around and go home. And we made an awesome Argentine friend in line who has been showing us around the city! She came with us and her friends to the party last weekend.

  • One free afternoon Matt and I went exploring. I looked up where we live on google maps and found a green square so we met there. It ended up being the University of Buenos Aires Facultad de Medicina (med school) with a big plaza in front. So he took some pictures since my old point and shoot died. We went to the top floor, climbed up on the windows, and Matt got some really cool shots of the city.



  • So my classes are underway. I won’t bore you with details, but the painting class is pretty comical. I’m taking it with Meghan, another IES student. She just told us to set up and start painting a still life that was set up. Every time she came over, she’d critique my work very loudly and point out all the things wrong with it. I noticed she didn’t do that with the other students. But the next class she was really nice. I think maybe it was a test to see if I would stay or not. Anyway, I finished the still life and learned to bring my ipod. I listen to Spanish podcasts, because the Spanish immersion in this class is minimal, and the students don't really talk.
  • After class one day, Eduardo and I went to this ice cream place that I pass everyday on my way to the bus stop. It was the most amazing ice cream I’ve ever had! It’s more like gelato than ice cream, but there are so many flavors. We have a list and check off the ones we’ve had with the ratings we give it. The guys who work there always laugh at my Spanish, but I don’t care because this stuff is better than anything I've ever had (this includes all the gelato we ate in Italy)! On the list:

      • Chocolate Amagro- super rich dark chocolate but not too sweet for a whole cone
      • Dulce de leche- almost like caramel. dulce de leche is to Argentina like peanut butter is to the US
      • Samboyon- rum flavored ice cream. Strongest rum I've ever tasted- almost more rum than ice cream! Not a favorite.
      • Banana split (bah-nah-nah splEET)- banana ice cream with dulce de leche swirl and chocolate chips
      • Tramontana- my favorite so far! french vanilla ice cream with cookies covered in chocolate.
  • My madre is cuter than ever. She got a slideshow from a friend’s email and started watching it. I heard a scream and came running into the comedor to see pictures of topless women on the beach and my madre with her hands over her eyes giggling like a little girl. I think it was a breast cancer awareness thing, but the whole episode was pretty funny.
  • We’re having a few problems with the salad situation. Argentines don’t understand salad. The first day we had salad, I got a bowl full of lettuce with salt and olive oil. I explained that it was very good but usually I eat salad with dressing, for example olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The next time, I got a bowl of lettuce with olive oil and…get this…white vinegar! Like the kind you’d use to clean your kitchen sink! But wait, it gets better. Tonight we had salad again with lettuce and tomatoes. And ketchup! She told me she remembers that I like dressing so she squeezed a bottle of ketchup all over my lettuce!!!
PS this is my new favorite song: Te Amo (Makano) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg7M5wjHgBM

4 comments:

  1. Keep up the awesome adventures. I'm glad you are getting the chance to see so much of Argentina and aren't cooped up in your room doing work all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope you are beautiful and i love you. i'll read the entry later (i'm running out) but i wanted to say hi and didn't know how else to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG BUENOS AIRES FASHION WEEK!!!!!! *dies*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heyy! Umm so i love the pics!! Sexxxy!! Im so jealous!
    haha ohh & I was dying laughing at the whole salad episode! And don't worry about lying, hehe Im sure it was worth it & quite an experience.

    ReplyDelete