Sunday, August 9

Tales from Orientation Week

I’ve been here a week and a half! Part of me feels like I’m well adapted to life in Buenos Aires, and then new things happen that make me feel like a tourist again. We’ve had orientation at the IES center downtown all week, and I always have to take a nap afterwards. The center is about a half hour walk, subte ride, or bus ride away. One kid started taking taxis because commuter transportation toward downtown is unpredictable, and he was late every day!

Things That Have Happened Since I Posted Last Week:

  • I dropped my phone in the toilet. How’s that for an opening? I don’t know the polite way to tell this story but I put my phone in my back pocket and I think you can fill in the details (don’t worry- I used the other toilet!!) but basically I had to rescue my phone from a public bathroom toilet. And since I have had many a waterlogged phone, I knew the procedure. I held it under the hot air dryer, let it dry overnight, and now it’s recovering. Luckily it was only about $40 USD so if I can’t save it, it’s not a huge deal. But keep your fingers crossed anyway!
My soggy phone (picture bubbles in the screen):
  • My madre is adorable! But sometimes when we have discussions, things get lost in translation. Argentina is 97% Catholic, but from what I’ve observed, not that many people flock to churches on Sundays. My madre is pretty religious, which I appreciate, but when she asked me about my church at home she didn’t quite understand. I told her I was Protestant, and she asked me why the church doesn’t let us dance or have blood transfusions!
  • I’m always fascinated how a major cosmopolitan city like Buenos Aires is still developing. Examples: This morning she had to do some errands so I took my time during breakfast and my tea got cold. I figured no worries I’ll heat it up in the microwave. When I walked in the kitchen, I remembered. No microwave…Also, when I take a shower I have to light a flame under the pipes to get hot water. I tried to find a picture of it but I don't remember what it's called.
  • This weekend I wanted to go to pickup, which is all the way across the city. So I figured out the best combination of walking, subte lines, and colectivo connections to get there. It took me about an hour and a half. Except when I got there, all the fields were occupied by a soccer league! Shoot! So I explored UBA (Universidad de Buenos Aires) and Belgrano, a really nice neighborhood with parks, tea shops, and an outdoor craft fair. I also explored Buenos Aires Chinatown a little, but my mission to find bubble tea was unsuccessful. I will definitely go back there though- it's a great neighborhood! Lots of people reading under trees!
Belgrano:

Chinatown:

  • This is part two of the story: I was a little disappointed to miss pickup, but the league starts soon and there’s a hat tournament coming up so there should be plenty of ultimate to be played! Also, I had overcome my fear of getting lost. Anyway when I took the hour long colectivo ride back, we passed el rio de la plata while the sun was setting! I’m not exaggerating when I say that it was honestly the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.

I'm going to register for 2 or 3 classes at UMSA, an Argentine university, and maybe 2 or 3 at the IES center. I really want to get into a painting class and an art history class at UMSA. The classes (and registration) start tomorrow, so wish me luck! Today I'm going to the Recoleta art fair with one of my madre's friends (a bilingual gay engineer). She said he knows a lot about the area, so he can be my free tour guide for the afternoon. In other news, everyone is getting sick because it's been chilly and then warm and the fluctuating temperatures has everyone sniffling.

That's about it for now! I'm off to take more Sudafed and get ready for Sunday #2 of my semester abroad.

1 comment:

  1. Hope, it sounds like you're having a great time. I tried to go to pick-up last Wednesday evening and when I got to the park, there wasn't a single Frisbee player there! I was disappointed, but I got to hang out with Amy Jo and Katie (my two best friends from home) instead, so it was alright. Good luck registering for classes!

    ReplyDelete