Saturday, August 1

The Food Network Doesn’t Cover Orange Juice 7-31

I was so exhausted from flying I went to bed at 9pm when everyone was going out to dinner! My room is full of French girls who don’t speak English or Spanish. They’re nice enough, but the language barrier doesn’t make it easy to make friends. Tonight is an asado, which is an Argentine bbq, so I hope I’ll meet more people there.

This morning, I woke up at 9am for breakfast (yes I slept 12 hours!) and the only ones up were the girls in my room. I pointed to the orange juice and asked where they found it and they pointed to the oranges in a bowl. I started trying to squeeze them in my glass and they laughed hysterically. One of the girls got up and cut the orange in half, then took this plastic contraption and juiced it. Then it was my turn. I grabbed one of the orange halves and it squirted all over me. The girls thought this was hilarious. One asked, USA? And I nodded yes. And after all that, I squeezed three whole oranges, which only gave me a quarter of my glass!


This is what it looks like:

This afternoon was chilly. I walked around by myself for a few hours at a time, until I got too cold and my feet hurt. Then I would come back to the hostel to warm up, and go back walking again. I stopped in a bookstore and got cheap pizza ($0.75 USD for 2 big slices!) but other than that I just people watched as I wandered all over the city center. I’m really trying to get to know the major streets and intersections, because if you know me at all you know I have a knack for getting completely lost!

Tomorrow I’m meeting someone from the IES program who also got here early, so it will be nice to have someone to share stories with. I’m also going to try the subte to find the pickup game. It’s on the other side of the city, so I’m a little nervous. I haven’t explored those streets yet! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment