Tuesday, January 5

Stuck in Mexico

My laptop is destroyed. My old camera broke. My new camera was stolen on the street. I left my ipod on the bus. I threw away three pairs of shoes because I walked in them until my toes poked through. And my winter coat was taken. No wonder I had so much room in my suitcase! After a fun beach tournament, a week of sightseeing with Josh, and a series of goodbyes, my bags are en route to New York while I once again find myself in the same Mexico City airport that first greeted me when I started this adventure. I remember being intimidated by a language I barely knew and frustrated that the information employee couldn’t understand me when I tried to explain my flight had no gate number. Five months later, I am happy to report that not only has the airport purchased computer screens that display your gate number clearly, but I also had a conversation at the same information desk without the dreaded language barrier. At least the issue this time was the fact that I was stranded in Mexico for ten hours and not my unintelligible jumble of Spanish verbs!

I treated myself to a big lunch even though I wasn’t sure how much I was paying because Mexican pesos aren’t the same as Argentine pesos. It was the nicest restaurant at the airport, and I’m shocked they let me in. I got some interesting glares from men in business suits and and women in fur coats. They must have wondered who this homeless girl was with red eyes stinging from sleeping in contacts, flip flops, sweatpants and a hoodie! Classy American. My mouth was on fire because that was the first spicy food I’d had in half a year. I then realized that I was eating the jalapeno salsa (to be used for dipping the bread) as soup. I hid behind my Time magazine Josh brought me, trying to look a little more refined.

Other highlights from my ten hour delay in Mexico: I took a nap on the floor sprawled across my luggage, and was waken up by a gaucho Santa who did pirouettes around the terminal and threw candy to screaming children. Spoke with a super nice Mexican woman who was going to see snow for the first time in New York. Finished reading all about American politics via my Time addiction. Realized nothing has changed much since I left.

My favorite picture from the beach tournament:



At the theater to see David's hip hop performance:



Our goodbye lunch in Puerto Madero:

No comments:

Post a Comment